Assurance Home Inspection Services, LLC. - "Your peace of mind is our number one priority"

Recent Posts

GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets
Wind Mitigation in Florida
Federal pacific Stab lok panels

Electrical sytems
Wind Mitigation in Florida
powered by

My Blog

GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets

• GFCI Outlets in your home
  • ______________________________________________
  • Function
    • Unlike standard electrical outlets, a GFCI outlet constantly monitors the amount of current flowing between the left (hot) and right (neutral) slots. If the GFCI outlet detects even the slightest deviation in the amount of current flowing between these two slots, it trips the internal circuit and cuts off electricity to the outlet.
    • GFCI outlets have been a requirement of the National Electrical Code in the following situations:· Outdoor receptacles since 1973
      · Bathroom receptacles since 1975
      · Garage wall outlets since 1978
      · Kitchen receptacles since 1987
      · Crawl space and unfinished basement receptacles since 1990If your home was built before these dates, they are "grandfathered" and not in any violation of the Code. However, if any remodeling is done to your house in these areas, you are required to update your wiring to meet these standards.
  • Benefits
    • The main reason that a GFCI will detect a deviation in the amount of current is because the wayward electricity is finding another way to the ground instead of through the grounding wire. The other way is usually through a person, also known as a ground fault. This can happen through various means, such as accidentally touching a live wire or dropping an electrical appliance in the bathtub. A GFCI can cut off the power to the outlet within 1/30 of a second, saving a person's life in these circumstances.
    • There are three types of GFCIs available:· Receptacle. These are installed in the wall where your previous older outlets where located. If installed as the first in a "branch" of outlets (meaning this outlet supplies electricity for standard outlets further down the power line), one GFCI can provide protection for an entire room.
      · Circuit breaker. In homes that have circuit breakers installed instead of fuse boxes (like most modern homes), a GFCI can be installed in the circuit breaker to provide protection to the various areas of your home. This has the added benefit as behaving like a fuse, also protecting wires and appliances from overloading.
      · Portable. Some extension cord devices have a GFCI built in. If the appliance, tool, etc., is plugged into the extension cord housing instead of the outlet in the wall, the device will provide GFCI protection.
gfi 3gfi 2U

11 Comments to GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets:

Comments RSS
tv mounting brackets on Monday, February 18, 2013 5:19 AM
Outstanding blog about GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet. Really, I won't know before reading about this but now I have known totally about this which is so much important for me. Thanks for giving us such kind of handy info.
Reply to comment

tv mounting brackets on Monday, February 18, 2013 5:23 AM
Reply to comment

HID Prox on Friday, April 05, 2013 9:23 AM
The resource that you mentioned about "Equipment" is something that I have been looking from quite a time. And finally it ended with such a nice blog post. Don’t have words to thank you.
Reply to comment

Patek Philippe Calatrava Replica on Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:48 PM
The need from customers for matches began to promotion. The Patek Philippe Calatrava Replica with exquisite appearance and novel design, is commonly won the favor of most watch fans.
Reply to comment
Electric radiators on Friday, August 16, 2013 9:26 AM
I am going through this post and thinking of it’s theme and trying to understand what is this post about. At last I can have found something from this post which feels pretty good.So I can not but am writing this comment to express my appreciation.

Electric radiators on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:28 PM
I was also searching about that how much electricity is use for pool pump and your article is very helping for me because you describe each and every point in detail. I hope in future you will also keep update us.

emmybello on Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:38 PM
hello!,I like your writing very much! share we communicate more about your article on AOL? I require an expert on this area to solve my problem. May be that's you! Looking forward to see you.
Reply to comment

Network Support in NJ on Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:00 AM
Your "Circuit- Electric failure" blog has always attracted me and this particular post left me speechless. It is one of the best pieces of writing I have seen. Great piece of writing, I really liked the way you highlighted some really important and significant points. Thanks so much, I appreciate your work.
Reply to comment

Electric heating on Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:31 AM
The very thought of your post on,an be so attractive that let me understand properly regarding the subject. This is due to of your blog title that I stumbled on with. Your post is extremely intriguing, notable and instructive.
Reply to comment

jewelry guide on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:26 AM
Good blog! I truly love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I've subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!
Reply to comment

anti static products on Saturday, September 21, 2013 6:18 AM
You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post; I will try to get the hang of it!...
Reply to comment