Assurance Home Inspection Services, LLC. - "Your peace of mind is our number one priority"
RSS

Recent Posts

GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets
Wind Mitigation in Florida
Federal pacific Stab lok panels

Categories

Electrical sytems
Wind Mitigation in Florida
powered by

My Blog

Federal pacific Stab lok panels

Below is a excerpt of an article prepared for the 17th Annual Spring Seminar, Feb. 21, 2004 St. Louis Chapter, American Society of Home Inspectors by J. Aronstein, Consulting Engineer, Mechanical and Materials Engineering BME, MSME, Ph.D., N.Y.S. P.E. LIC. NO. 39860, 50 Pasture Lane, Poughkeepsie N.Y. 12603.

Unlike over-fusing and pennies behind the fuses, defective FPE breakers cannot be spotted by an inspector or tested by an electrician or homeowner. Without doing a functional test (at overload and short-circuit conditions) on each breaker, one pole at a time for the two-pole breakers, one cannot actually determine the present operating characteristics of a breaker. Most electricians or electrical inspectors can only look at the breakers ("they look OK to me"), and operate the toggle ("they click on and off OK"). But without doing live-current functional testing on all of the breakers, it is impossible to determine which of the breakers in the panel are defective. Will they all trip properly on electrical overload or short circuit? Electrical contractors and inspectors are generally not equipped to do that type of testing, and homeowners or potential purchasers are not likely to have the required budget for extensive specialized testing. In fact, thorough testing would most likely cost far more than changing the panel.
The presence of an FPE panel in a home should be classified as a “Safety Defect”. The FPE breakers are primary safety devices of questionable operating reliability. It is not quite correct to call the non-tripping breaker a “fire hazard”. That term should be reserved for the electrical failure that causes ignition. The breaker’s function is to stop certain electrical sequences that could, if allowed to proceed, lead to fire in the building. If an electrical fire hazard develops somewhere in the building, the breaker is supposed to trip and minimize the possibility of fire ignition. If the breaker is defective, fire is more likely to result.

100 0768

13 Comments to Federal pacific Stab lok panels:

Comments RSS
More info on Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:33 AM
Superb site with lots of salvation about electrician! Really I was looking forward to read about this entry and all this information seem to me very positive at all. Thanks for this allocation. :lol:

Giovanny Ray on Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:42 AM
Really you mention full report of promotion regarding federal pacific Stab lok panels. I am really impressed to know this valuable information. I am also looking forward for your next valuable info. Carry on :)

Kathrine rosenberg on Monday, January 28, 2013 8:06 AM
This is a great information about electrical systems. Assurance Home Inspection Services, LLC. Is based on the belief that your customers' needs are of the utmost importance. And you are committed to meeting those needs. Assurance is our one stops all inclusive inspection company. Thanks

Jacinto Weishaar on Monday, February 04, 2013 8:43 AM
Valuable information indeed! For the home safety we can use an FPE panel and primary safety devices of questionable operating reliability. Thanks mate carry on :)

tv wall mount on Monday, February 18, 2013 5:56 AM
After reading out your blog I have come to know about Federal pacific Stab lok panels which is best lok panels. So, I want to install your Federal pacific Stab lok panels for my TV cable. Thanks!

House on Monday, February 18, 2013 5:57 AM

standalone dvr on Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:05 AM
Really, It is most useful to all. I will come to get this Federal pacific Stab lok panels for my home install because I have known that this kind of panel will be better for me. Thanks!!!

flash drive on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:35 AM
Handy information!!! I am so much happy to get your handy information which will be best for me because I need to repair my backer panel. Thanks!!

DENIS on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:35 AM

Denis on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:36 AM

Anonymous on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:36 AM

eyerideonline on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 7:55 AM
Good information it is about Federal pacific Stab lok panels which is most important thing for electrical parts. I will come to you to know more about this because it is so much necessary able thing....

fireman sam bike helmet on Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:31 PM
I've been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?